Goodbyes

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Less than two months ago, we said goodbye to my grandfather. As the funeral procession passed the NJ Transit Bus Depot, there was a bus parked in his honor. It's destination read "Out of Service, No Passengers." At his funeral, he was saluted by an Honor Guard. Gunshots were fired. Marines stood by and presented an American Flag to my grandmother in his honor. He lived a long life. As we all should. He had seven children, six of whom were by his side at his death. His youngest son was not able to be there that night.

This week, his youngest son has flown to his side. As he should be. But not yet.

Somehow Uncle Mike managed to evade my camera on many an occasion, but his memory lives on strong in my mind. He enjoyed his parties and could always be counted on for entertainment at some point of the evening. Usually up to no good with my other uncles. He cooked, he fished, and so much more.

This past Christmas he amazed me with a side of himself I hadn't previously seen much of. He grabbed up my son intent on keeping him from the danger of my grandmother's steps. He cuddled with him in the kitchen and gently hand-fed him a brownie.

Yes, I'm using cuddle and gently to describe Uncle Mike.

He was also patient,
sweet,
and dear.
Dear Uncle Mike, please watch over us
knowing that you are loved and missed.
I didn't know that it was the last time we would see him. Here.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  January 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

OH Julie that is so beautiful. I am so happy that he gave you that memory. We love you.
Love Always,
Aunt Ericka

Mummy McTavish January 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

That is a beautiful post. So sorry you are hurting. I'm sending a big hug right now!

Jen Andricola January 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

I'm a friend of Mike and Ericka, my husband grew up with Doc and we lived with them in Philly a long time ago. This is a beautiful tribute to your Uncle. You've shown a side of him that not many people got a chance to see. He was the greatest of friends, and the dearest of men in more ways than he ever let on to the common observer.
He would blush and deny everything you said here, but you are spot on and he would have loved it.
I will miss him very much.

debi9kids January 14, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

I'm so sorry Julie. Your family has had enough heartache to last a while...
Saying prayers for your whole family as you go through this awful and sudden loss :(
Love you!
(((HUGS)))

monica January 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

He sounded like a wonderful man that should still be with you and your family. My thoughts and prayer are being sent your way.

Veronica Lee January 15, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

April January 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

I'm so SO sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) January 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM  

I am sooooo terribly sorry for your loss.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP