Need c-section advice

Monday, October 20, 2008

Since I know I have a few twin mommies reading and at least SOME of you prob had a c-section, I'm pulling out all the stops to get as much input on this question as possible. Well, let me start off by saying that I had one of my now twice a week non-stress tests and my 36 week appt today. They were both noneventful which is good news...since I'm not READY!!! (Although, I do now have a cold AND baby is back into trying to break my pelvic bone apart..so not very comfortable).

Anyway....during my c-section with Katie I had 2 pretty significant skin reactions/recovery problems. First off, I had MAJOR sensitivity to the surgical tape which was harder to deal with than the incision itself and took forever to heal. My doc is working on some alternatives and has assured me that we won't go near surgical tape this time. My other problem was with my actual incision and I have to make a decision regarding how to handle this time. Last time, I had internal stitches that should have dissolved on their own. The doc stiched across once and then doubled back halfway. I healed great in the hospital but then about a week later on once side it started to open up and "leak". I went in and the doc cauterized it...was back open within a day. Finally about a week later we saw stiches poking through and they had be manually pulled out. After that I healed up fine. Nothing was too painful..just worried me cause the leaking made me think it was getting infected..come to find out it was FAT leaking...um hello...I may have let it stay open a little longer before going to the doctor if I had known that :). So this time around, the doctor delivering me said he'll do whatever I want for closing the incision. He does not go back halfway, but in his opinion that was prob only a coincidence that it only opened on one side and he thinks I would likely still have a problem with my body trying to expel. So I can try the internal stiches again and hope for the best and that there won't be a problem since he only goes across the once OR I can get staples or old-fashioned stitches that will be pulled out in a few days. I'd love to hear from anyone who had staples or old-fashioned stitches and let me know how painful it was to have them taken out, if you had any reactions, and if it left any additional scarring. My doctor thinks the staples are the best way to go, but I have read a few places that they can pull a lot while still in and be more uncomfortable than stiches and that they are painful to remove. Granted, I will be taking full advantage of all morphine and percocet offered to me so I'm only really worried about extra pain when moving around. Please let me know if you have any advice!!!!

4 comments:

debi9kids October 20, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Julie,
I had staples and had no issues at all. I would opt for the staples, definitely, as you will less likely have a reaction.
They weren't the most comfortable to have taken out, but it really wasn't all that painful.

Kris October 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

I just came across your blog tonight. But I thought I'd throw this out there.

I have had 2 c-sections, the first and emergency, the second a repeat. I had staples both times.

The staples did not bother me at all while they were in and they were not painful to get removed. I know that my nurse always warned me of a tugging that could be painful, but I never felt it.

Good Luck!

Mummy McTavish October 27, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

Not much help really, but on the skin reacting to the tape issue... I reacted to the tape like I react to everything that touches my skin, it was itchy and inflamed and what-not but bearable (just). I decided to stick with it (get it!?!?) and have the tape the second time too because it helps with healing faster and reduces the risk of infections from outside and I wasn't interested in someone interrupting me to fix my dressing over and over. As for the rest my only problem has been nerves not fixing themselves or realigning wrong so I stick a pin in one spot (hypothetically) and I feel it in another... weird, or I just dont feel it at all. One thing no one told me about with a second C-section after an emergency one (he got stuck and had to be pushed back in, YUCKY) was the fear on the day. the first time you are running on adrenaline, you have to get that baby out NOW or it is in danger. The second time you have a date, you go the the hospital book in, wait in your room, you have plenty of time for getting nervous. Prayer helps heaps with that, next time I will have one friend specifically praying for that. Hope it all goes well, praying for you! (sorry, first time commenting, hope I'm not oversharing)

Unknown October 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Thanks for the advice!!!



Actually, I was planned last time as well. I think nerves are already worse this time though since I know exactly what to expect (even though it wasn't THAT bad)...but still remembering what WAS bad doesn't help.



Oh, I wish I only had itchiness/inflammation from the tape. Unfortunatelly, I had SEVERE blisters everywhere that all got wripped open when they took the tape off the next morning...it hurt/burned SO bad that it made it almost impossible to move/walk around and I was in AGONY taking my first shower. :(

Oh and def not oversharing :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP